Ikelite 71704 200DL Housing for Canon EOS 7D DSLR Cameras
A full-featured and durable waterproof housing for Canon EOS 7D DSLR cameras. Suitable for scuba, snorkel, surf, pool, and any application in or around the water.
This housing requires the addition of a compatible Ikelite DL Lens Port for waterproof operation. Lens Port not included.
Introduced in 2013, the Canon EOS 7D has an 18MP CMOS sensor with good autofocus capabilities and low-light performance. The APS-C crop sensor is great underwater for both close-up images with either a 60mm or 100mm Macro lens and wide-angle with the fantastic Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye.
This housing features Ikelite’s robust new Dry Lock (DL) port system. “Dry Lock” refers to the placement of the O-ring on the outside of the port mount. This improves visibility and reduces the chances of water dropping onto your precious camera sensor. DL ports are the lightest on the market, yet robust and capable of standing up to rough surf. Attachment is quick and secure. A system of extensions can accommodate a huge variety of lenses with ease.
Most popular zoom lenses and select lens focus rings can be engaged using a simple yet effective gearing system that puts adjustment right at your fingertips. A large, soft-touch lobed knob on the side of the housing makes fine-tuned adjustments a breeze. Zoom and focus gears differ depending on which lens you are using. All are lightweight and affordable. Refer to the DL System Port Chart to choose the correct gear. Zoom gears are sold separately.
Legacy Four Lock Port Compatibility
Due to differences in mount diameter and zoom engagement, Ikelite DL and FL system ports cannot be used interchangeably. The DL port mount may be removed using a T15 Torx bit and replaced with old style Ikelite Port Locks for FL Port System (Set of 4) # 5509.04 for legacy users with standard or modular ports from our Four Lock system. This modification will prevent the use of newer DL ports. Re-installation of the DL port base will require the housing to be returned to Ikelite or an Authorized Dealer and may incur additional service charges. The housing cannot be converted back and forth repeatedly.
There are significant advantages to upgrading your lens ports. If you’re shooting an 8″ diameter dome, you’ll also save almost .0907g (2 pounds) by switching to the DL version. Contact us for more information about Trade-Up opportunities.
The included vacuum valve allows you to pressurize the housing to check for leaks prior to putting your expensive equipment in the water. Use of the vacuum valve requires a compatible Ikelite Vacuum Pump with Gauge # 47011, sold separately.
There is no greater assurance than being able to see your camera and O-ring seal through the back of the housing. Ikelite’s signature open-groove design suspends the rear O-ring in a natural position that is easier to maintain and more reliable than forcing the O-ring into a channel. Once the housing is closed you can see the O-ring form a solid, waterproof seal.
This housing supports your choice of shooting manual strobes or adding TTL electronics depending on your application.
You can enjoy the fastest and most accurate TTL exposure on the market by adding the DL5 DS Link Canon TTL Converter and CT1 TTL Hotshoe Kit # 46075 and a compatible Ikelite DS strobe. Exposure compensation can be used added or subtracted in the camera.
The flash bulkhead has been moved to the top of the case for improved cord routing and reduced strain. Reliable locking connectors between the hotshoe and bulkhead make it easy to install the optional TTL electronics or carry backup parts when travelling to remote locations.
Controls and Set-Up
Shutter and AF-ON levers stand out with super sensitive and natural feeling curved levers. Both controls can be extended using the optional Shutter Trigger Extension # 4077.93 for more comfortable use when using a right-hand quick release handle.
All push-button controls are machined and hard anodized aluminium to reduce weight and resist salt build-up. The back of the housing is laser engraved with control symbols that will never fade or fall off.
The camera mount is front-loading for easy installation and removal. A small mounting plate attaches to the bottom of the camera and secures in the front of the housing. The camera mounting plate does not need to be removed from the camera for surface use or when changing the battery or memory cards. The mounting plate features a 1/4-20 threaded mount on the bottom so that it can be attached to a tripod on the surface.
The included Super-Eye Viewfinder provides an enhanced view of the camera’s optical viewfinder when viewed through a dive mask. The viewfinder removes quickly and easily for the attachment of an optional Straight Magnified Viewfinder # 6890 or 45° Magnified Viewfinder (Type 2) # 6891.2. The angle of a 45º viewfinder is more ergonomic when shooting underwater plus it provides a larger and brighter view than the standard Super-Eye.
Handling & Travel
The housing, tray, and handles have been optimized to reduce weight while maintaining strength and durability. The Right-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.02 (sold separately) can be added or removed depending on your needs. The precision-machined aluminium base features 1/4-20 tripod mounting sockets and additional mounting locations for future accessories. The base and handle can be quickly removed when breaking down your system for travel.
A 1/4-20 threaded mounting point is located front and centre on the housing above the lens port mount. This mount can be used to attach lightweight accessories like a focus light or GoPro camera.
If you’re shooting with two strobes or lighting arms, then an Aluminium Top Handle # 4080.08 can be added to carry to and from the dive site. The rigid aluminium version provides additional mounting points for lighting and accessories.
Ikelite’s new ABS-PC blend front is stronger than its clear counterpart, provides improved contrast and visibility, and keeps your camera running cooler in the sun.
Every housing is made in the USA, individually inspected for fit, and water pressure tested to 60m (200 feet).
SEA&SEA, INON, and Retra strobes with an electrical connection can be triggered in manual exposure modes using an electrical sync cord. Strobes without an electrical sync cord connection cannot be attached to this system unless slaved off of a hard-wired strobe.
Ikelite Non-Digital Strobes
Older non-digital strobes featuring an ICS-5 electrical sync cord bulkhead can be used with this system in manual exposure modes.
Fibre optic only strobes are not compatible with this installation. An external strobe must be connected by an electrical sync cord.
Strobes with remote slave capabilities may be triggered off of a flash attached to the housing by an electrical sync cord. Ikelite DS strobes support remote triggering using the Optical Slave Converter # 4405 or the Water Wizard system (manufactured and sold by Aquatica).
This housing is only compatible with Canon EOS 7D camera as shipped by the manufacturer. Unless otherwise noted, this housing does not accommodate the use of add-on grips, battery grips, eyepieces, LCD covers, or other accessories.
Differences in lens and control placement prevent other DSLR models, including the newer EOS 7D Mark II, from being used in this housing. We are not aware of any other models which may be used in or adapted to this particular housing.
- 60m (200ft) depth rating
- Compatible with Ikelite DL system lens ports
- Controls are provided for all important camera controls; Controls are not provided for LCD panel illumination button, Depth-of-field preview button, Dioptric adjustment knob, Multi-function (M-Fn) button, Quick Control Dial switch, Lens lock pin, and Multi-controller
- 1/4-20 thread base mounts with 3.5″ spacing
- Near neutral buoyancy in freshwater
- Actual buoyancy varies depending on the choice of lens and port
- 2.2Kg (4.8 lb)
- 234 x 180 x 168mm (9.2 x 7.1 x 6.6″)
- Vacuum valve included (pump sold separately)
- Included Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead connector with manual hotshoe for the reliable electrical triggering of underwater strobes; Optional TTL accessories provides automatic exposure with compatible Ikelite DS strobes
- ABS-PC construction is fundamentally corrosion-resistant
- Made in the USA; Individually inspected for fit and water pressure tested to depth
- 2 year limited warranty
In the Box
- Rear O-ring # 0132.61
- Front O-ring # 0132.45
- Zoom Gear Retainer # 75900
- Port Hole Cover # 0200.92
- Waterproof Bulkhead Cap # 9104.7
- Base with Left-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.67
- Tool for Zoom Gear Retainer # 0945.06
- .050″ Hex Key # 0945.11
- 1/16″ Hex Key # 0945.16
- Silicone Lubricant # 5020
- Spare Rear O-Ring # 0132.61. Carry a backup in case the original seal becomes damaged.
- Spare Front O-Ring # 0132.45. Carry a backup in case the original seal becomes damaged.
- Vacuum Pump with Gauge # 47011. Pressurize the housing to check for leaks prior to entering the water.
- Right-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.02. Makes a double tray for easier handling and a second attachment point for strobes or lights.
- Trigger Extension # 4077.95. Recommended if using the Right-Hand Quick Release Handle. Brings shutter or AF-ON lever out to handle for more comfortable use (requires 2 to extend both controls).
- DL5 DS Link Canon TTL Converter and CT1 TTL Hotshoe Kit # 46075 for Fast, Accurate, automatic TTL strobe exposure when used together with compatible Ikelite DS strobes.
- 45º Magnified Viewfinder (Type 1) # 6891.2 Brighter, larger, and more ergonomic positioning when shooting underwater. Rotates for landscape or portrait shots.
Adding an external strobe or video light enhances your photos’ colour and sharpness underwater. If you will be shooting below 13m (45 ft) or in an indoor pool, your photos will be predominantly blue-green without an artificial light source.